Thanks for visiting. I’m Bowman and Gordan Gray Distinguished Professor of Geography in the Department of Geography at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. I’m primarily an economic and environmental geographer and I’m interested in intersections among political economy, environmental politics, critical development studies, and science studies. I use the lens of governance to explore what drives distributional outcomes in the global economy and in the face of environmental change.

My research program focuses on the political economy and geopolitics of governance, with emphasis in the areas of marine spaces and resources, food systems and global value chain analysis. I also co-founded with Dr. Lisa Campbell the Digital Oceans Governance Lab, which focuses on the intersection of the data science revolution and oceans governance. I work in interdisciplinary collaborations to broaden the scope of data collection and analysis, widen target audiences and build credibility with policy makers, industry groups, scientists and conservationists.

You can check out my publications on google scholar – feel free to write me for any publications you can’t access.

Prospective students: feel free to write me to inquire about graduate school in our department. Be sure to include your CV and a short summary of your interests and how they relate to my research program.

Interest areas: agrarian studies, coastal and marine governance, commodity studies, corporate power, environmental politics, global value chain analysis, international development, natural resources, political economy, political ecology, property, resource geography, science studies